Sunday, September 20, 2009

First impressions


I'm almost through my first week as a resident in the big (ridiculously big) city of Los Angeles. One thing that I can't wrap my mind around is how this city is designed. The tallest apartment buildings I've seen are about 5 stories high, but the majority seem to only have one or two floors. Why would a major city be designed this way? It makes it inevitable that people will have to travel ridiculous distances to get anywhere at all. Anyway, I am hoping to become more knowledgeable about this in the coming months of discovering LA by traveling by bus and bike, and maybe by doing some research on LA city planning as well.

Today I made my first visit to the Santa Monica Sunday farmer's market. It was awesome. I ate roasted corn and bought some dilly beans. There are many vendors at the market, most of which offer organic options (there was even a meat stand wooo!). I look forward to taking advantage of the year round California growing season.

In other big news, yesterday afternoon was cloudy! Apparently a rare sight.

Overall, I am excited to learn more about LA! Also - the stereotype that people are more laid back and friendlier here appears to hold true! (Must be the lack of clouds and hail and slush and such). Until later - Kate

4 comments:

  1. by the way, the picture is my new home...Weyburn Terrace, Jacaranda Court. Still not sure how to pronounce Jacaranda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacaranda Court: where do you park "ja car in da court" ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely going to have to visit you :) It looks beautiful, good luck with getting settled and started!

    ReplyDelete