Thursday, November 12, 2009

gendered commercials

the other day someone posed a question in class about whether or not feminist geography exists. Oh it does. I guess that I didn't used to think about these things much, but now that I do I think that spaces are very gendered. It was mentioned in a book I was reading for class, and I've been thinking about it since. One thing that has frustrated me in relation to this is that domestic settings are usually deemed female. This becomes obvious if you just watch TV commercials. All of the household appliance, air freshener, laundry commercials have women in them. For example, all Air wick commercials feature different animated animal women taking care of a million kids, and being excited about their house smelling nice because of a smelly plug in. Their husbands are no where to be found. I looked up all of these online, and found them for Germany, Korea, the US, France, India and with frogs, hamsters, squirrels, owls, octopi, bunnies, skunks, etc. ALL of them featured female animals.. Well, except for the skunk commercial which had a male skunk talking about how his wife got the air freshener. Really? There's also a commercial for Centrum for men that just came out showing objects that have been created 'just for men' including an easy chair, a grille and a power drill. Really? I thought that we were beyond this at least somewhat. Do commercials reflect societal norms? I think that they kind of do. And they are holding us back from integrating gendered space! Kind of a stretch.. and maybe this is outside of the realm of gendered geography but I wanted to rant about it a bit.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.clarku.edu/academicCatalog/facultybio.cfm?id=329 Dianne Rocheleau is a self described "feminist geographer" from Clark...

    ReplyDelete